Thursday, May 30, 2013

Current Direction

Based on the research I have been doing over the last couple weeks, I am currently planning on building something along the lines of the Prusa I3 with a box frame. I think this is in line with my goals of accuracy and large build volume but I am open to suggestions or tweaks.


Over the past couple weeks I have completed the Solidworks basic tutorials. I found them to be very informative. I then need to find some dimensions to build the frame. After digging around on Joseph Prusa's Github area, I was able to find the dimensions of the pieces and some direction on how to put them all together. (I found them listed down a the bottom of Prusa3 / box_frame / doc / manual.txt). After a a bit of learning curve, I came up with a decent looking model, I am getting some hits but I attribute this to the wood screws. I took me a while to find a solution on how to get it relign with the assembly with the axis but I finally stumbled upon it here. (MIE341 - Aligning planes for good engineering...)


I was hoping to avoid using the SCAD files and just pulling STL files into Solidworks and modifying them as needed. OpenSCAD appeared to be needlessly complicated but after further review this appears to not be possible as the SCAD files are not "complete". However, if I am understanding OpenSCAD correctly you need to plug in variables to get the final model. If this is the case, then I think I understand why people like OpenSCAD. If you are clever you can design parts that can be easily adapted for other components by simply changing a the variables. But now I have to figure out how to use OpenSCAD. Arggg 


On a side note, I have started going through ikilledkenny's blog "i3 Video Build Log". Hopefully I can use some of his information to avoid some mistakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment